Friday, January 27, 2012

Scones, Biscuits ... Tomato, Tomahto

This month's Daring Bakers challenge could not have been more perfect for a baker who is eye deep in a kitchen remodel (ah hem ... such as yours truly). We made biscuits ... or scones, depending upon which country you live in. Here in the U.S.A, we call them biscuits and they were mighty good!! I've used the Betty Crocker (I think) buttermilk biscuits recipe for as long as I can remember, but after this challenge, I think it is safe to say that I'll no longer use my old standby. These biscuits were fantastic!

I wound up making the basic biscuit recipe (milk) and one of the alternative recipes (cream) just to see if there was much of a difference between the two. There was! Our family voted for the cream biscuits hands down (and mouths full). Not only were these biscuits really good, they were also a great project for Annika and me to do together. She had a great time sifting the flour, mixing the ingredients (sometimes with her hands, other times with a spoon), and eating our fresh-from-the-oven biscuits with homemade jam.


Annika sifting the flour

Ta da!


Our butter and flour all mixed together to a "fine gravel/sand" consistency
Annika stirring the dough
(although it doesn't look like it, I really did help make these biscuits!!)


Our dough after adding the milk
Ready for the oven!



Annika taking in the glory that is her biscuit

Annika gives the biscuits a big "YUMMMMM" and thumbs up!
Cream-based biscuits

Milk-based biscuits


Audax Artifex was our January 2012 Daring Bakers’ host. Aud worked tirelessly to master light and fluffy scones (a/k/a biscuits) to help us create delicious and perfect batches in our own kitchens!

No comments: