Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day Summary

Sunday was my 2nd Mother's Day spent as a mom. It was wonderful. We spent a little quiet time at home before heading up to Whidbey Island to have brunch with Eric's parents. We ate more than our fill and then played a really fun game called Tripoly. (I think we might add that to our shopping list one of these days!) For Mother's Day, Annika and Eric gave me heartfelt cards and some new cookie cutters .... YIPPEE!! Do they know me or what?!!?

The only down part of our trip to the island was the line for the return ferry. We're used to leaving the house and hopping right onto the next ferry. No such luck on Sunday. Instead of our usual right turn to the ferry terminal, we had to turn left and go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up the hill to the end of the waiting line. We wound up just beyond the "90 minutes +/- from this spot" sign. Fortunately, the very tired Annika fell asleep and Eric and I had books to read. Our usual 1 hour trip turned into a 2 1/2 hour trip home. UGH!

Speaking of books, can I just say how excited I am that the book club I'm in chose to read "To Kill a Mockingbird"? I love, love, love that book!!! (Not enough to name a child Scout or Boo, but I really do love the book.) It is funny to read it with an adult's perspective instead of a teenager's point of view. Things I missed as a young reader jump out now as critical to the book's development and depth. I savor my time with this book; it is like creme brulee for me. Each little taste is delicious and rich.

No comments: