Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Conor Channeling Bill Cosby

Conor is practicing being 3. He's very good at it, in fact.

We are working hard to raise children who are self sufficient, able to make decisions, and know they are capable beings. This is a process. It is not a quick trip. No, no, no. In fact, it is more like walking across the country ... a few times. (Run, Forrest, Run!) (5 points if you get that pseudo movie reference.)

Lately, Conor has been asserting more independence, which is great. That said, he's a bit schizo (and I write that in the most loving way possible) in asserting it. He constantly reminds us of Bill Cosby's skit about Adam and Eve.... mostly the Eve part: "Come here, come here, come here. Go away, go away, go away. Come here, come here, come here. Go away, go away, go away." (If you are so young or unaware of the great Bill Cosby's skit about The Apple, click this link and listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9WEExFT0g)

Instead of the "Come here, go away" dynamic, Conor has the "I can do it, I need help" dynamic.

Me: Conor, here's your pancake. Would you like me to cut it for you?
Conor: No, I do it myself.
Me: OK. Not even a little help?
Conor: No, I do it.
(At this point, he realizes that he might actually need a little help.)
Conor: Mama, I need help.
Me: Sure, I can help. (Taking the knife to help.)
Conor: NO!!! I DO IT!
(At this point, he realizes that he, in fact, still needs help.)

Conor: Mama, I need help.
Me: You sure? OK. (Taking the knife to help.)
Conor: NO!!! I DO IT!
(Repeat.... a lot)

This isn't just a pancake occurrence. Nope. It's a just about everything occurrence.

Ahh.... to be almost 3.

(Stop, Forrest, Stop!)

No comments: