Wednesday, June 27, 2012

June Daring Bakers Challenge: Battenberg Cake

This month's Daring Bakers challenge was very time friendly, which I appreciate considering how busy we've been over the past 6 or so weeks! This month, we were challenged to make Battenberg cake, which is the nifty checkerboard cake just about everyone has seen at some point. We got to choose our colors, and I went with the "natural" cake color and regal purple (Battenberg cakes have a royal history, so I thought a color with "regal" in its name would be perfect.) I didn't intend to wind up with a UW-themed cake, but there you go! GO DAWGS!

The cake making was really easy. The thing I really liked about this challenge was I learned how to make my own marzipan. It was really easy to make and tasted quite good. I would, however, roll it a bit thicker so the purple doesn't show through, and I would choose to add a bit more powdered sugar during the marzipan kneading so it isn't quite as sticky as this batch turned out to be.



Mandy of What The Fruitcake?! came to our rescue last minute to present us with the Battenberg Cake challenge! She highlighted Mary Berry’s techniques and recipes to allow us to create this unique little cake with ease.

No comments: