Friday, April 27, 2012

March Daring Bakers Challenge: Nazook

OMG! I have discovered a little bit of Heaven on Earth. Normally, I would write something such as "it is is my children's laughter" or "Eric's smile", but that simply isn't where I'm going today. Instead, this little glimpse of Heaven is in a newly discovered baked treat called Nazook. (Or as Eric now says, "Nazook of the North")

What is Nazook? It is an Armenian pastry that basically is a flour and sour cream-based dough with a sweet filling ... all rolled up together (akin to a cinnamon roll).

The assumed key to the delight that is nazook? Butter. Lots and lots of butter! These bad boys are delightful warm and cold ... in the morning with a cuppa coffee or as an after-dinner treat. 

I took the extras to my office yesterday (Lord knows our little group of 4 does not need 40 nazook in front of us and taunting us with their buttery, sugary goodness) and was told they are possibly the best treat I've brought to work... and that's saying a lot, considering I bring in a lot of baked goods on a fairly regular basis.


I'll soon post a nazook tutorial (and the recipe) ... I just have to pull the pictures off of our camera. Stay tuned!

The Daring Bakers’ April 2012 challenge, hosted by Jason at Daily Candor, were two Armenian standards: nazook and nutmeg cake. Nazook is a layered yeasted dough pastry with a sweet filling, and nutmeg cake is a fragrant, nutty coffee-style cake.

1 comment:

Korena said...

Nazook of the North, hilarious! I agree, these were so tasty! (And I'm more than a little jealous about your Pioneer Woman experience in your previous post!)