Tuesday, May 13, 2008

She slept! She slept! She slept!

As many of you already know, Annika and a solid night of sleep are not exactly synonymous ideas. Last week, we implemented the cry it out method. Sunday night was by far the worst night thus far in our training. That night, she was up about every 2 hours and cried for at least 40 minutes each time. It was heartbreaking to hear her cry and know that the worst thing I could do for her was comfort her. My mommy instincts told me to fix it, but my logical side told me that she needed to do this to learn. Talk about being pulled in two directions!

Last night was a whole new ballgame! She woke up twice, but only briefly. I think the longest she was up was 10-15 minutes. The best part was she made noises and cried out, but not that "you've abandoned me and my heart is being torn into a million pieces" cry that she shared with us the night before. She was so exhausted from the night before that she fell asleep at 6:30 last night and didn't get out of bed until 6:20 this morning. WOO HOO!!

I'm not going to know what to do with myself when she actually sleeps through the entire night. I haven't done that since December 2006.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!!! Congrats to Annika and her mom and dad!

Noreen said...

Hooray for the whole family! I definitely know the sweet feeling of success when the wee one finally sleeps like, well, a baby. Way to go! I also know the pain of hearing that heart wrenching cry. Brutal. But once Gwen figured out how to sleep on her own, everyone's world changed. We have a little night routine and she's READY to sleep for 10-12 hours when we lay her down.

And, I assure you, you will find a million ways to reclaim your life once you have your nights back!

Staci said...

who are you kidding? I don't think the two of you have had a full night's sleep since you were married-between the dogs, pregnancy and baby. Congratulations! Sometime in the next 10 years you may finally feel well-rested again.