Friday, March 22, 2019

RITUS 2019 Cookies

Each year at our kids' school, the 8th grade participates in a ritual called RITUS. (It used to be called Potlatch, but apparently a Catholic school using a Native American word ruffled some feathers outside of the school community ... hence the renaming.)

The 8th graders work for months to prepare for this ceremony, which in many ways provides them with the avenues to explore who they want to become as they evolve into adults. They learn how to drum, memorize poetry and prose, learn songs, make masks that represent their inner selves, and more. They talk about shared memories from each year at the school ... often evoking tears and laughter from all involved. It is a moving experience to watch; I promise you that I'll be a puddle on the ground when our kids are 8th graders and participate in their own RITUS ceremonies.

For the past 5 (I think) years, I've made personalized cookies for the 8th graders. They are supposed to be a surprise for the kids, but Annika informed me (in no uncertain terms) that "Mom... EVERYONE knows about the cookies. It is NOT a surprise. At. All." Well, then.... OK.

In years past, I was asked to make cookies that showed the animal totem each student chose. Let me tell you, that was no small task. Last year, with the renaming of the ceremony, the approach to the cookies changed and I was asked to make crosses for the kids instead. WAY easier. This year, I did a blue/green filigree pattern with their names (21 in all) decorated with gold luster dust. In all honesty, I didn't put much thought into the specifics of the actual design until right before I needed to do it, and would have chosen to do the filigree in silver, but didn't have any silver luster dust. Hence, green/blue filigree.

They sort of ended up with an old-world feel to me, and I like that. Happy? Yeah, I'm happy. I was THRILLED when I delivered them to the school and didn't break any en route. (It's the small things sometimes!)




No comments: