Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm OK with being boring

Last night, Eric and I were chatting about what it would be like to be on a reality show. The conversation sparked after a reference to a very large reality TV family dealing with marital problems that shall remain nameless. Eric said the family makes about $75,000 per episode - WOW!! That's a lot of money, but at what cost? They've lost just about any sense of privacy and normalcy that the vast majority of us enjoy. Eric and I realized that we're far too boring to have our own show (unless people wanted to use the show as a sleep aid) and we're perfectly OK with that.

We started giggling at the idea of what an episode of The Olson Trio would be like:
Meredith: "So, what do you want to have for dinner?"
Eric: "I'm easy. Anything is fine."
Meredith: "Mac and cheese?"
Eric: "Sure. Sounds good."
(Here's the drama of the episode. Ready?)
Meredith: "We also have some chicken in the freezer. We could have that instead."
Eric: "I'm fine with whatever is easy."
Annika: "CEREO!!" (translation: "cereal")

Yup, that's about as exciting as we get. Not a bad thing in our book!

I had a ever-so-small taste of the fishbowl life must become once a person is on a reality show. For me, it was called being the residence hall manager for a local college. I couldn't take a step or sneeze without one of the students knowing about it. I had to keep my on-campus apartment's drapes closed 24/7 because I'd have peeping students if I didn't. Good times....

No comments: