Monday, July 29, 2019

A week of fun... and now I need a nap

Last Sunday, the kids and I headed up to Whidbey for the annual 3-day kids' golf camp at Useless Bay Golf and Country Club. Our kids adore going up to the island for this camp. They get an extended stay at Bestemor and Bestefar's house (win!), they get to go swimming (win!), they get to have fun playing some golf (win!), and they get to play with Bestemor and Bestfar's dogs for a few days (win!), Conor went trout fishing with Bestefar (win!), we celebrated Annika's birthday (win!), and I went salmon fishing/crabbing with Bestefar (win and win!).

This was (I think) the kids' 4th year at golf camp. Each year, they have so much fun, get to meet new kids, and they grow as golfers. This year was no exception. On Monday, they swam for almost 2 hours and then did golf camp for 2 hours. Whew! Tuesday's weather wasn't as cooperative, so they opted to skip the pool that day. (I was grateful for the overcast sky because it meant sunburns weren't an issue.) On Wednesday, the sun was back, so out came the sunblock again! Conor is a huge fan of hitting balls at the driving range. Annika liked being out on the actual golf course for the first time ... it made her feel like a real golfer!

Entertaining themselves with the "Coca Cola Went to Town" song




Pool fun

Conor at the driving range


Our little golfin' dude 
Annika at the driving range


Great swing!

He hit a 150 yard drive!!!

Bestmor and Bestefar gave Annika an incredible birthday gift ... a scrapbook from their trip to Ireland! For each day, Bestemor wrote a short summary of the day's events, included photos, and a few mementos. Annika LOVED the book and we love seeing her smile from ear to ear as she looks through it and remember her amazing trip with her amazing grandparents. She giggles are things remembered in the book, and tells us so many stories that the photos and write-ups remind her of.

Annika reading her bday card

Looking at her scrapbook

On Tuesday morning, Bestefar and Conor hit Deer Lake to go trout fishing. From what I was told. things started off reallllllly slowly. Not a nibble or a bite for a long time. They wound up catching 2 trout the last half hour (or so) that they were on the lake, though, so all was not lost! (Thanks for catching a future dinner for us, guys!!)
Conor and Bestefar say "WOO HOO!"

 I worked from the island Mon-Wed and took Thur-Fri off to go salmon fishing with Eric's dad. I'm pretty sure it was his life's goal to have me catch a salmon. He's taken me out a number of times over the past few years and the only thing we ever caught were dogfish, a flounder, and rocks. This year, he was determined to change my salmon fishing record.... and we did!! We were up very early both mornings and at the boat launch no later than 5 AM. The only thing we caught on Thursday was a crab (yum, but not exactly what we'd hoped for in the big scheme of things). Friday was our day! We wound up with 9 keeper crabs in the traps. I also caught a pink salmon (hooked and reeled it in myself - boo yah!), and Jack hooked a king salmon that he had me reel in. In addition, Jack caught one heck of a ling cod (40-ish pounds!) that we threw back after taking a few photos.  Talk about a fish putting up a fight!!!

Early mornings

Jack navigating to good fishing spots

That's one BIG ling cod!!!


My king!!
:Look at my pink!


On the ferry heading back home ... with our annual "post golf camp" ice cream treats

After fishing and cleaning up the boat on Friday, the kids and I repacked the car and headed home. We were tired, but in a good way! (I'm sure as soon as we headed up the driveway, Eric's parents were in their chairs with half-closed eyes!) Unbeknownst to the kids and me, Eric sneaked down to Tacoma the day before to bring home our new pup (Huck). The original plan was I'd pick him up on Saturday after Annika's Irish dance competition, but Eric had an even better plan in mind! Talk about a surprise!!!! The kids had NO idea that we were adopting a new dog ... I had no idea he'd be at the house waiting for us! 

Annika and Conor meeting Huck

Isn't he cute??

Huck checking out the back yard

As if spending 6 days on Whidbey and bringing home a new pup weren't enough, Annika had her first feis (Irish dance competition) on Saturday in Tacoma .... AT BELLARMINE!! So, we were (once again) up bright and early so we could check in at 8 AM. Annika had quite the cheering section - Fr. Fred, Troy/Staci/Kat/Ian, Drew/Sandy, and my best friend Kate were all there to watch her dance! She walked away with 2 bronze medals and a trophy for 2nd place. Not too shabby, if you ask me!
All ready to dance!

Annika all ready to jig

After the feis and lunch at The Spar with Troy/Staci/Kat/Ian, Annika and I made a quick stop at Johnson's Candy (DUH!) before driving back home. I'm pretty sure I would have been a lump on the floor upon arriving at home had I not been welcomed home by a very waggy little puppy who likes to nibble on ears that are within reach. :)

No comments: