Friday, February 15, 2019

Valentine's Day 2019 Recap

FULL DISCLOSURE: We don't "do" Valentine's Day. It's a Hallmark holiday and one that I don't put much weight behind. In recently heard a radio segment that talked about how much people (on average) spend on Valentine's Day gifts. I almost crashed my car at the shock of how much people (again, on average) spend and from laughing at the whole (expensive) ordeal.

That said, Eric and I exchange cards (just like we do on our anniversary) and wish each other a happy Valentine's Day. We also give the kids cards to wish them a good day and to have a fun avenue for reminding them of our love for them. Easy ... done. As an added bonus, the kids got heart glasses with their cards (thanks, dollar store!) Who has two thumbs and is a fun mom? THIS gal!!!




The reason I really like Valentine's Day is the cookies. I LOVE making Valentine's Day cookies. This year, I was in a state of panic not knowing if the kids' class parties would actually occur (thanks to Snowmagedden 2019) but they did! Woo hoo! I baked the cookies Tuesday night and decorated them Wednesday night (but that point, we had gotten word that the kids would haves school on the 14th.) So, I pulled out my decorating supplies and went to work!

The kids decorated a few cookies, too, and are really getting a hang of some decorating techniques! Both kids made rather advanced decorating choices (especially considering Conor's age and Annika's full-arm cast!), including hearts, wreaths of hearts, and multi-color hearts. Way to go, kiddos!

These are four of my favorites from this year

5th grade's cookies platter

3rd grade's cookie platter


My monster Valentine's Day craft was this rag heart. I made it for my mom's door at her care facility. (The benefit of being snowed in... there was plenty of time to tie about a million knots to make this wreath!) Again, due to the snow, I wasn't sure if it would get to her on time, but due to her unexpected fall and ER trip on Wednesday, I got it to her on time. I think we'll leave it up even after the Valentine's Day decorations come down ... she loves the color red and it looks darn cute on her door!


No comments: