Thursday, November 27, 2014

November 2014 Daring Bakers' Challenge: Paris-Brest

I'm writing this post as the rest of the family are off doing various Thanksgiving activities: playing cards, watching TV (currently, a dog show), rough housing, and chatting. Thus, I'll make this brief because I don't want to miss out on the fun. :)

This month, we were challenged to make a Paris-Brest, which was pretty darned exciting to me because I actually knew what it was thanks to a past season of The Great British Bakeoff (Thank you Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood!). I even knew it was a reference to a bicycle race in France. (How worldly am I??)

I chose to do a Paris-Brest recipe by Jacques Pepin (click for recipe); the final product was filled with a chocolate mousse/cream instead of the traditional crème patisserie. The whipped cream was extra yummy because the recipe called for adding dark rum to the mixture. Hello! YUM!

The Paris-Brest was a bit over baked, which was a bit of a disappointment, but the rum whipped cream made up for that little issue. :)


 
The November Daring Baker’s challenge took us for a ride! Luisa from Rise of the Sourdough Preacher challenged us to make Paris-Brest, a beautiful pastry celebrating the Paris-Brest bicycle race.

1 comment:

Kim said...

My guess is that even though you felt the pastry was over done, it was perfect because so many of us had an issue with deflating pastry.. Nice job!